These days I seem to be craving donair every second day. So I just had to share this recipe. I love the tzaziki that I make for it and the cooked chicken. If it was up to me, that would be everything I put into it, but you gotta have some vegetables as well.
I also love baking the buns ahead of time and freezing them for whenever I need a quick meal. It works great for busy days or if company decides to come over spontaneously.
Once you have made your dough and it had time to rise, you make little (90-120g) balls and roll them out a bit and place them on baking sheets. Make sure they’re spread out, because they will rise in the oven.
Now take a knife and poke holes in the buns.
Take an egg and mix it with a splash of water and spread it on the donair buns. Now take some sesame seeds and spread those on top as well.
NOTE: I had taken an egg white or an egg yolk only with some water – it did not make a difference. I decided to always use the whole egg now since the other half just gets wasted anyways.
Bake it for 45 min or until golden brown at 375 F.
If you want bigger bread, then you can make the dough into 120g balls and roll it out more. They will be thinner and more flat.
Cut almost all the way through and insert your favorite fillings!
- 1 1/2 cup or 350 ml warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 90 ml oil
- egg yolk and sesame seeds for top
- 4 cup or 600g flour
- Mix everything together in a stand mixer except the flour. Let stand for 10-15 min or until yeast gets bubbly.
- Add flour and mix on medium for 8-10 minutes. If necessary, add a bit more flour until dough isn't sticky.
- Cover dough and let it rise for 30 minutes to an hour or until dough has doubled.
- When dough has doubled, preheat your oven to 375 degrees or 350 degrees for a convection oven.
- Take dough and divide into 90-120g balls.
- Knead each little dough and roll out until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Take a fork and press holes all around the top.
- Mix the egg yolk with a bit of water and spread it on each little bread.
- Top off with sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 45 min or until golden brown.
- Same recipe can also make 3 Pizza Doughs and 2 Flatbreads